Monday, July 26, 2010

Of the Definition of Love.

Lately, I've been asking friends the question: "How do you know if you love someone already?"

Some gave the answer that if they are able to change themselves for that person, then they love that person already. Others would say that if they are able to selfless enough to give a part of them to that person, to be able to sacrifice something of themselves, that means that they love that person.

Then I asked myself, "How do I define love?" Is it feeling of fireworks whenever I am with someone? Or is it the feeling of flying high with just the thought of him? Is it love when my heart suddenly beats faster when I'm with him? Or is it love when I feel all the things that love songs talk about? I realized it was none of them.

To love is to be able to choose to love the person regardless of who he is. I remember Tito Bo saying, "You truly love when you fall out of love." And I've realized that it is indeed true.

Love is not about how long the sparks last or how fast your heart beats, it's about deciding to just love that person even though you see something in him/her that is not acceptable to your standards. It is to accept the totality of the said person.

It took me such a long time to realize this. Years ago, I was this girl who likes rushing into relationships, a girl who wants to have someone to be with. I was such an immature fool back then. Now that I know that to love is something more than just "feeling in love", there is no need to rush.

0 comments:

Post a Comment