Friday, December 10, 2010

Of Meeting the Real Deal.

Regarding ideal guys and prince charming, I was always specific. You see, I had a list of requirements that my future beau had to have in order to attract my attention. And these were the following:
  1. He has to have a good sense of humor, and he could make me laugh. Well, that wasn't such a difficult task, actually. Anyone could make me laugh, I think.
  2. He has to be intelligent. As in MENSA-intelligent. My dad was, and in a sense, I wanted my dream guy to be that smart. You know, the type of guy who'd be able to solve any mathematical problem with ease. Or someone who could explain to me Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason without batting an eyelash. That kind of smart.
  3. He definitely has to be musically inclined. In all actuality, in the entirety of my infatuation with guys, I rarely liked someone who wasn't musically inclined. The guy could either sing or play a good instrument or both.
  4. He'd have to have a great set of pearly whites. Yes, for a time, this was a non-negotiable. If you didn't have straight teeth, I'd say good bye to you.
  5. He'd have to be chinito. Yes, I have biases towards chinito guys.
  6. He'd definitely have to be God-fearing above all else. You see, I grew up in a charismatic community that taught of loving God and serving Him with all your heart, so naturally, I'd look for someone who'd share the same sentiments as I do.
  7. He'd have to have nice hands and feet. Fetish, I suppose.
  8. He'd have to be sweet and understanding and caring.
  9. He'd have to be a close friend of mine
  10. Etc...
The list would go on and on. And for years, I religiously clung onto this list in the search for Mr. Right. And more often than not, I'd get disappointed with what I found because he'd lack one of the requirements mentioned and I'd drop him off like a hot potato. But if I found that "dream guy", I'd expect that he'd be "The One" and then get all heartbroken and bitter afterwards. Yes, I'm afraid it happened more than once.

And then, Adrian came into the picture. You see, Adrian has been a close friend of mine for 6 years. And we've through a lot of shit together. We've definitely shared our ups and downs, but never had I imagined that I would end up with him. I'd admit that before he was my friend, he was my crush (hekhek), but after all that "puppy love" died down, we became really good friends. I could proudly say that he was one of the selected few who really know who I am. And so, because of that tight bond that we shared, I shrugged any notion of romance between the both of us.

But I guess God had another plan in mind. Funny enough, around the same time that he admitted to me how he felt, I was starting to realize that I loved him too. And, obviously we're together. :) And, nope, he didn't meet all of the requirements in my said list. I realized that I didn't really care if he didn't have straight teeth, or if he's more adventurous than I am, or if we different perspectives on things because I love him for who he is, regardless of whatever standards I had back then. I know it may sound cheesy, but my "yes" to his question was also a "yes" to accepting the whole of him, perfections and imperfections.

It was a "yes" of choosing to love him even if there are days that it may seem impossible to love him.
It was a "yes" to loving him even if he's sometimes weirder than usual people. (peace)
It was a "yes" to seeing forever and choosing to see forever with him.

I see him as God's gift to me. And I can never be grateful enough that God gave Adrian as the person that I hope I share my entire life with.

Hi, people. Meet the real deal. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment